Banner - 2o2o Contact Training DVD

Tuesday, April 7, 2009

I Failed the "Are You a True Pacific Northwesterner"

The picture attached was taken in Gig Harbor, WA where my friend Jill & I had lunch on Monday. It was such a beautiful day! We walked w/ Ru on the beach, had a seafood lunch and more - I felt like a tourist!

However, a few days ago was my '5 year' anniversary for moving to the Pacific Northwest from the Chicagoland area.

I have to laugh because Facebook has a test called "Are You a True Pacific Northwesterner" and my score indicated I was exactly how I felt yesterday - like a Tourist! In a lot of ways I don't think that's ever going to change.

Pacific Northwesterners (PNW's) are unique. For example:
  • They don't wear bright colors, instead they tend to go for the colors of nature - browns, greens, blues, etc. I have embraced that part of living here!
  • PNW's rarely notice the mountains. On the other hand, I never get tired of seeing them and the photographic opportunity.
  • PNW's really do like their Birkenstock sandals...with socks. You will NEVER catch me wearing that combination!!!!
  • PNW's think of moss as their state flower. The state flower is really a rhododendron.  Since I have about 15 of them on my property and had none in Illinois, I really like them : )
  • Now how can I not be a PNW when I'm one of the few that knows the native fern needs to be trimmed back in early spring in order to promote fuller growth? Many native PNWs don't even know that one
  • Now here's one against me...I own a snow shovel and understand why one should shovel if the snow isn't going to melt in a few days. None of my neighbors have a snow shovel, none know how or what road salt is and my neighbor asked me "now why should you shovel your driveway?" I was told it doesn't snow in Seattle, but for the last few years, that hasn't been true...
  • PNW's don't generally have A/C - at least not on the west side of the mountains.  I did bring two A/C units with me when I moved from Chicago - better safe than sorry!
  • Most Seattle folks loose their sunglasses since we only tend to need them about 4 times a year. I always keep my sunglasses in my car in the sunglass case provided. But, I used to have quite a few more pairs and now can't seem to find any of them...
I hope I never become bored of the PNW, it really is beautiful country and I love the mountains, the water and everything in between.
  •  

No comments:

Post a Comment