"My little dog ten years ago was arrogant and spry, but she was ten years younger then, and so, by God, was I. If natural law refused her wings, that law she would defy, for she could do unheard-of things, and so, at times, could I."
- Ogden Nash
While there are far more great memories, the fact remains that the hardest, the most painful, the most gut-wrenching and yes, the most debilitating lessons have been coming to terms with the end of the cycle of life - commonly called...(dramatic pause, clearing of throat)...umm...death...
- You WILL get through it. Life has a way of moving us forward even when it seems we're staring into a black hole.
- The emotions will be intense and probably like nothing you've experienced before. Therefore...
- * It's okay and recommended that you see someone to help guide you through the loss. They're your safety net and your voice of reason, let them take that responsibility so you can move through your emotions because...
- There is no by-passing grief and there are no short-cuts. We all have to go through it and come out the other side.
- Allow yourself the luxury of time to grieve. We take time to celebrate life (birthday's, weddings, etc.) so it's only natural we should take time to feel loss.
- Above all else, it's okay to feel sad, to cry, to grieve. But it's also okay to feel love, joy and pleasure in other parts of your life.
- Moving on with your life is not disrespecting who you've lost. It's taking what you've learned and the love received and applying it where needed. It IS okay to move on.
- No, you will NEVER forgot them so don't ever be afraid that you will.
- No, the emptiness and pain of the loss does not go away...ever. BUT, it does subside with time and just like all memories, is put in a box for safe keeping.
- You don't have to talk about your loss if you don't want to. It's okay to say "I don't want to/can't talk about it." If the person doesn't take the hint, say 'Please, I need to change the subject. So how is XXXXX' If they still don't get it, excuse yourself and walk away. It's that simple.