Banner - 2o2o Contact Training DVD

Monday, March 8, 2010

The Art of Racing in The Rain

A friend of mine lent me the book "Racing in the Rain" by Garth Stein and I had to share what an amazing read it is!  I don't often give book recommendations, but this one is a must.

The book is written from the perspective of a dog as he witnesses and participates in the life of his family. Don't worry, you don't have to be an obsessed dog lover (like me) to enjoy this book. As the author's website says:

"Enzo knows he is different from other dogs: a philosopher with a nearly human soul (and an obsession with opposable thumbs), he has educated himself by watching television extensively, and by listening very closely to the words of his master, Denny Swift, an up-and-coming race car driver. Through Denny, Enzo has gained tremendous insight into the human condition, and he sees that life, like racing, isn't simply about going fast. Using the techniques needed on the race track, one can successfully navigate all of life's ordeals..." http://www.garthstein.com/arr/

One of my favorite insights from Enzo is on page 101 where he says:

"Here's why I will be a good person. Because I listen. I cannot speak, so I listen very well. I never interrupt, I never deflect the course of the conversation with a comment of my own. People, if you pay attention to them, change the direction of one another's conversations constantly. It's like having a passenger in your car who suddenly grabs the steering wheel and turns you down a side street..."

Don't worry, the book isn't all philosophical and Enzo has several moments of laughter as well. Chapter 21 starts off referring to the little girl "She made me wear her bumblebee wings she had worn the previous Halloween...." Now who didn't dressed their animals as a kid and now we get to hear things from their side!

Again, this is a great book that will make you think as well as bring a smile to your face.  Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment